Homemade soufflé – doesn’t that sound mouthwatering?! I’ve got the perfect trick to help you master whipping up some delicious soufflés in your kitchen. So, whether you have a sweet tooth or savory treats are more your style, soufflés are the perfect treat for any occasion.
On the latest episode of Plated, I taught my friend, Steve Nealy, that it’s never too late to learn how to make a soufflé.
Follow along for all the ingredients and techniques and bake along with us! Catch Episode 8 of Plated on demand – right now – only on AWKNG TV.
Here’s what you need to make a savory cheese soufflé
3 T Butter
1/3 cup Flour
4 each Eggs
1 cup Milk
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
½ Black Pepper
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Nutmeg
½ cup Gruyere
½ cup Cheddar
½ cup Breadcrumbs
Whip up that cheesy soufflé goodness
- First, place your butter in a sauce pot over medium heat to melt butter. Next, add flour all at once and whisk to combine.
- Cook flour but do not brown. Slowly stem in milk to prevent lumps.
- After that, bring to a boil then add chesses and seasonings, then whisk to combine.
- Next, transfer to the stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Paddle to cool.
- Once cool, add yolks, then transfer to large bowl.
- Next, whip egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold together.
- Butter and dust ramekins with breadcrumbs.
- Finally, portion batter and top with extra cheese.
You can’t forget the mornay cheese sauce to top it off
4 T Butter
1/3 cup Flour
3 cup Milk
2 or 3 cloves each
¼ Peeled Onion or Shallot
1 each Bay Leaf
2 oz Gruyere
2 oz Parmesan
Here’s how to whip up the best mornay sauce
- First, melt butter, add flour.
- Then, add onion and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil to thicken.
- Must boil to thicken and not taste like raw flour or be grainy
- Add cheese.
- Lastly, strain reserve for soufflé sauce.
For the sweet tooth
Here’s how you make a sweet chocolate soufflé
2 oz Butter
½ cup Flour
1 cup Milk
¼ cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 T Cocoa Powder
½ tsp Kosher Salt
2 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate
3 each Eggs
Sweet soufflé how-to
- To start, make a beurre manie with room temp butter and flour.
- Bring milk and cocoa powder to a boil.
- Add beurre manie, then whisk to combine over medium heat until mixture is thickened.
- Place mixture in the bowl of the stand mixer, then add chocolate.
- Paddle until bowl is cool to the touch then add yolks one at a time.
- Next, place mixture in large bowl.
- Whip eggs to stiff peaks, and fold together.
- After that, add butter and sugar ramekins.
- This can be done in advanced.
- Finally, portion batter and stick in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Top off your chocolate soufflé with a crème anglaise
½ each Vanilla Bean
4 each Egg Yolk
1/3 cup Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
1 ½ cup Whole Milk
Technique for picture perfect crème anglaise
- First, scald milk and vanilla bean.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together.
- Then temper.
- Next, cook to nappant.
- Nappe test on wooden spoon.
- Finally, strain, then chill.
Yummy chocolate tulip cups
First, you will need 8 oz of semi-sweet chocolate.
1. Melt chocolate almost all the way- stir to finish melting.
2. Blow up balloons and dip in chocolate.
3. Finally, chill, then pop balloons fill with crème anglaise.
There you have it, the perfect soufflés! Get ready to “wow” your friends and family with your pro-baking skills.
Learn more sweet recipes you can take on in your own kitchen by streaming Plated on AWKNG TV! Start your FREE 7-day trial today!