Is it macaron or macaroon? On the newest episode of Plated, I taught my friend Malki Wilbur all things macaron and macaroon. There is a difference!
A macaron is a French pastry made of sweet ganache sandwiched between two meringue biscuits. A macaroon is a soft cookie made of shredded coconut, egg whites, and sugar. They’re both delicious!
Keep reading for all the ingredients and techniques for making macarons or macaroons, and bake along with us! Catch Episode 5 of Plated on-demand right now – only on AWKNG TV.
How to bake macarons
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make macaron shells:
French macaron shells X2 (2 dozen)
2/3 cup Almond Flour
1 cup 1 T Powder Sugar
¼ cup Granulated Sugar
2 each Egg White
1 tsp Food Coloring
Techniques to whip up French macaron shells
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine dry. Sifting situation.
- French meringue. Whip whites, add sugar once frothy. Whip until stiff.
- Bowl overhead. Add color. Add lots of color to make vibrant shells. Don’t overwhip for air pockets.
- Add dry and mix to perfect consistency.
- Load piping bag. Round tip.
- Piping bag tips for loading and holding bag
- Add poppy seeds/sprinkles/something funPipe on parchment. Tap pan.
- Bake until perfectly set, but not dry in the center.
- Test for doneness in over. Over-baked shell resection.
- Cool to room temp. Flip over for fast filing.
Here’s how to make creamy macaron fillings
Ingredients you’ll need for the macaron filling:
BUTTERCREAM X1 (SCANT QT)
4 each Egg Yolk
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 lb Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Salt
LEMON CURD X1 (1 Pint)
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
3 each Lemon Zest
1/2 cup Sugar
3 each Whole Egg
3 each Yolk
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Vanilla
2 T Butter
French buttercream technique
- Cool sugar to softball.
- Careful not to crystalize and how to test sugar stage with ice water.
- Pour into whipping yolks.
- Mount with butter.
- Unsalted butter reasoning/kosher salt/amount of salt added for flavor balance.
- Whip it real good.
- Bullesye method.
- Load into piping bag-fill.
- Ways to share them/freeze or mature them.
Lemon curd technique
If you prefer a citrus filling, here’s the lemon curd technique:
- Separate eggs-crack on a flat surface.
- Juice and zest lemons.
- Set up a double boiler.
- Cook sugar, eggs, juice, zest, salt, and vanilla.
- Add butter – chill, covered with plastic wrap.
Now you know how to make macarons!
How to make macaroons
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for macaroons:
Macaroons X1/2 (4 Dozen)
14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 each Egg White
14 oz bag Coconut Flake
1 tsp Salt
2 each Lemon Zest
8 oz White Chocolate for Dipping
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, salt, lemon, vanilla, egg white.
- Fold in coconut flake.
- Gently melt chocolate, dip.
There you have – delicious, sweet treats the whole table is sure to enjoy!
For any questions, feel free to find me on Instagram – @Thebakerreed!
Learn more sweet recipes you can take on in your own kitchen by streaming Plated on AWKNG TV! Start your FREE 7-day trial today!