On today’s episode of Plated, I taught my friends and newlyweds, Noah and Kaley Darmata, that tangy fruit tarts made together taste even better.
Keep reading for all the ingredients and techniques, and bake along with us! Catch Episode 4 of Plated on-demand right now, only on AWKNG TV.
Making the tangy fruit tart crust
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make a 12-inch buttery cracker crumb crust.
2 2/3 cup Buttery Crackers (2 sleeves)
½ cup Sugar
9 T Butter
½ cup Flour
1 tsp Salt
½ cup Milk Powder
Buttery cracker crumb crust technique
- Melt butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Reserve.
- Crush buttery crackers in their sleeve packaging place in a zip top bag and crush up using your hands to form a fine, even crumb.
- Place cracker crumbs into a medium bowl, add sugar, milk powder, salt, and melted butter. Use a spatula and your hands to mix until everything is evenly combined together.
- Prepare tart pan by coating it with non-stick cooking spray. Add half the crumbs to the tart shell. Use your hands and a round dish to press crumbs into edges of the tart pan.
- Next, add the remaining crumbs and evenly press into the bottom of the tart shell using a flat measuring cup.
- Reserve crumb crust for filling.
Tangy fruit tart filling
These are the ingredients you need to whip up a tangy filling. This particular recipe makes a Key lime and passion fruit filling.
6 each Egg Yolk
1 ½ Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz can)
¾ cup Passion Fruit Juice
1 cup Key Lime Juice
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Passion fruit and Key lime filling technique
- In a medium bowl, gently whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, key lime juice, passion fruit juice, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Pour filling into the prepared buttery cracker crumb crust shell.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 25 minutes, or until filling is just set.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before topping with the meringue.
Swiss meringue topping
You need a little sweet to compliment the tang. Here’s what you’ll need to make a Swiss meringue. It takes a bit of technique to get it right.
2 ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
4 each Egg Whites
¼ tsp Salt
- Bring two inches of water to a simmer in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites and powdered sugar with the vanilla extract, salt, and key lime juice until it is well combined.
- Place egg white mixture over the hot water bath and continue to whisk until the mixture is very hot, all of the sugar is dissolved, and the mixture looks smooth.
- Remove mixture from the hot water bath and place in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whisk over high speed until the meringue is light and fluffy and will hold stiff peaks.
- Pour meringue out on top of the chilled tart. Use a spatula to make swirls in the meringue. Use a blow torch to gently torch the meringue before serving or set oven to broil and place meringue under broiler to toast.
- Finish tart by decorating with chopped fresh fruit.
For any questions, feel free to find me on Instagram – @Thebakerreed!
Learn more sweet recipes you can take on in your own kitchen by streaming Plated on AWKNG TV! Start your FREE 7-day trial today!